POLITICAL PARTIES AND CIVIL SOCIETY DEPARTMENT
POLITIAL PARTIES AND RELIGIOUS BASED ORGANIZATIONS (RBOs) UNIT
LOCAL NON-GOVERNEMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS AND PROFESSSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS UNIT
The department in charge of Political Parties, National NGOS and RBO& is on 4th floor right wing ZIGAMA CSS Building. The 3 first floors accommodate the ZIGAMA CSS’s services.
2. SERVICES WE OFFER
The services we provide are related to our triple mission:
- To register Political Parties and Civil Society Organizations,
- To empower CSOs,
- To monitor the activities of Political Parties and Civil Society Organizations.
3 WORKING HOURS
Monday to Friday from 7 am-12am: receiving applications
From 1pm-5pm: Analyzing the documents.
N.B. To better serve you, we advise people, unless they have been given an appointment, to come and see one of us on morning hours if necessary. Otherwise, to avoid unnecessary travel costs, please call us on 0788559713 or email us on email@example.com for appointment with the Head of Department.
For matters related to Political Parties and Religious-Based Organizations, you may call on 0788504713 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org
For matters related to Non-Governmental Organizations and Professional Associations, you may call on 0788492589 or email on email@example.com
4. PROCEDURES FOR REGISTRATION OF NGOs &RBOs:
– What do we get at District level?
A collaboration letter (and not a recommendation letter) obtained from the Mayor of district. This district collaboration letter should specify the nature of the CSO (National NGO or Foundation, or Religious Based Organizations, or Professional Associations), its domain of intervention and especially how it is aligned to the district development plan.
- What do we get at RGB?
- A Temporary Registration Certificate for the first application
- A Legal personality
- Publication of the authenticated statutes of the organization in the RGB’s website.
- Notary services.
- What do we get at Prime Minister’s Office?
- Publication of legal Personality decision in the official Gazette under RGB’s facilitation. Fees for facilitation are incurred by the organization that has been granted Legal Personality.
Below is the table containing e-mail addresses and telephones for the department, units, and managers/staff:
Political Parties and Civil Society Department
Political Parties & Civil Society Department
MUTABAZI RUGEMA THEODORE
Head of the Department
NB. For complaints and compliments only
Political Parties & Religious Based organization Unit
BARIHUTA HABA AIME
Director of the Unit
Local Non-Governmental Organizations and Professional Associations
Director of the Unit
5. REQUIREMENTS FOR RELIGIOUS BASED ORGANIZATION’S REGISTRATION
a. Requirements for the 1st registration
Applicants shall submit to the Rwanda Governance Board the following documents:
1. Application Letter addressed to the CEO of Rwanda Governance Board requesting for temporary certificate;
2. Authenticated statutes governing the religious-based organizations in the three official languages in use in Rwanda;
3. A notified copy of the minutes of the meeting approving the statutes and also showing the list of founding members and their signatures;
4. the notified report on the elections of the Legal and Deputy Legal Representatives, the conflict resolution organ members and the audit committee members;;
5. A certificate indicating the location of the Head Office of the organization issued by the District where the organization has established its head office;
6. CV, valid criminal records, degree in theology from a recognized university for the Legal Representative and his/her deputies;
7. A document certifying that the legal Representative of the religious-based organization and his/her deputy were appointed in accordance with its statutes (Declaration)
8. A brief statement describing the major doctrines of the religious-based organizations (not exceeding ½ page);
9. The action plan and the annual budget prepared in the format provided by RGB on www.rgb.rw
10. the plan of the activities of the organization prepared in the format required by the authority in charge of registration of religious based-organizations; e. the action plan and the annual budget showing outputs and indicators ;
11. Original District Collaboration letter for the current year issue by the Mayor
b. Requirements for legal Personality
According to the art. 15 of the law no 06/12 of 17/02/2016 determining organization and functioning of religious-based organizations, in a period not exceeding nine (9) months from the date the temporary registration certificate is granted, any religious-based organization must apply for the legal personality.
The application letter shall be accompanied with a copy of the temporary registration certificate (art. 21 of the said law)
The Legal and Deputy Legal Representatives of a religious-based organization applying for official recognition shall:
- submit an application letter;
- submit a valid birth certificate issued during the last three months;
- submit a criminal record certificate;
- submit their curriculum vitae;
- submit a certificate, diploma or degree attesting having completed at least 3 years of theology studies.
- Be a person of integrity
c. Content of the statutes of the religious based organization
2. Mission, area of activities and the beneficiaries;
3. Organizational structure, competence and duties of the organs;
4. Criteria for being a leader and loss of leadership;
5. Administrative and financial audit organs;
6. Organ for and mechanisms of conflict resolution;
7. The property disposal mechanism
6. REQUIREMENTS FOR A NATIONAL NGO’S REGISTRATION
a. Requirements for 1st registration
a. Application Letter Addressed to the CEO of Rwanda Governance Board;
b. Authenticated statutes in conformity with the law no 04/2012 of 17 February 2012;
c. Document showing the Organization’s head office and its full address;
d. The name of the Legal Representative of the Organization, the name of his/her deputy, their duties, full address CV and their judicial records;
e. The minute of the general assembly which appointed the legal representative of the organization and the signatures of all the members that attended such a general assembly meeting;
f. Action plan for the fiscal year according to the format below
g. Original District Collaboration letter issued by the Mayor
h. Declaration of two legal representatives certifying power of attorney
b. Requirements for the legal personality
Just an application letter to the CEO/RGB shall be accompanied with a copy of the temporary registration certificate in accordance with the art. 24 of the law no 04/2012 of 17/02/2012 governing the organization and the functioning of a national non-governmental organization
c. The content of the statutes of a national NGO
1. Name of the organization;
2. The mission and activities of the organization;
3. The organ and mechanisms of conflict resolution;
4. The criteria and procedures for adhesion or loss of membership;
5. The organ in charge of administration and financial audit;
6. The hierarchy of organs and competence in taking decision; 5
7. The property disposal in the case of dissolution of the organization.
8. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS TO THE REQUEST FOR REGISTRATION OF A POLITICAL ORGANIZATION
Application letter should be accompanied by the followings:
1° three (3) certified copies of the statutes governing the political organization;
2° three (3) copies of the minutes of the general assembly that established the political organization, certified by the notary of the District where the general assembly was held;
3° three copies (3) of the internal rules and regulations of the political organization;
4° for each legal representative of the political organization:
a) A full identification certificate;
b) A certificate of residence which is issued by the Mayor of the District;
c) A criminal record showing that he/she has not been sentenced, and if sentenced the offence committed and the penalty pronounced
N.B.A political organization registered shall, within a period not exceeding one (1) month after its final registration, inform the authority in charge of the registration of political organizations on the location of its offices.
9. CONTENT OF THE STATUTES OF A POLITICAL ORGANIZATION
The statutes of a political organization shall especially contain clearly the following:
1° the full name of the political organization;
2° its objectives;
3° its structure and organs;
4°its head office which shall be in Rwanda;
5° the members of its organs, modalities for their election and replacement, their term of office and responsibilities;
6° the requirements for membership, resignation and dismissal of members;
7° the legal representatives of the political organization;
8° the provisions related to the property;
9° the provisions relating to the amendments of its statutes and its dissolution;
10° the fate of its assets when the political organization is dissolved voluntarily or following a court’s decision.
Prepared by MUTABAZI R.Théodore
Head of PPs and CSO Department.